A Gold Coast family have survived a terrifying close call after a deadly brown snake slithered into their baby daughter’s cot.
Aleisha Mitchley’s four-month-old baby Sophie was down for an afternoon nap just an hour before the alarming discovery.
She was just about to put Sophie back down for another nap when she spotted something moving through the corner of her eye.
“As I’m going towards her room, there is this thing moving on the floor. I had to take two… I’m trying to hold my daughter and back away,” Ms Mitchley told Sunrise.
“It took a while to register, at first I was thinking it’s just a toy, there are toys all around the house.
“It wasn’t until it started moving that I thought, ‘Oh my goodness, it is a snake’.
“I’m calling out snake and my son wants to see it.
Her neighbours rushed to the rescue using a mop, pool cleaner and a set of tongs to wrangle the venomous snake into an esky.
Gold Coast snake catchers were later called in and relocated the venomous snake.
With screens and snake-stoppers on all their doors, Ms Mitchley said the only way the deadly snake could have found its way in was when her partner was mowing the lawn and left the garage door open.