Mum rushed to the ICU after 'hand sanitiser caught fire'

·3-min read

A single mother is in a hospital intensive care unit with burns “from head to toe” after hand sanitiser in her bedroom allegedly caught fire.

Kate Wise is a single mother-of-three in the US state of Texas. Last weekend she was involved in a horrific accident when she went to light a candle after putting on hand sanitiser, which she said was purchased from a trusted store.

According to a GoFundMe set up by Ms Wise’s best friend, she had tucked her children into bed before using the hand sanitiser, then shortly after went to light a candle in her room.

Ms Wise’s arm caught fire, and then there was a “bomb-like explosion”.

Kate Wise from Texas is severely burnt and in the ICU after. the hand sanitiser she had on caught fire.  Source: GoFundMe
Kate Wise from Texas is severely burnt and in the ICU after. the hand sanitiser she had on caught fire. Source: GoFundMe

“It obviously went all over my face. And, in like a matter of five seconds, my whole body was just consumed in flames,” Ms Wise told KHOU11.

Two of her daughters ran to a neighbour to call for help, while Ms Wise reportedly carried her disabled daughter out from the home, along with the dog, after she managed to take off her burning clothes.

"It's something that you never want your kids to see," she said, according to KHOU11.

"Like, you just being up in flames so I think that part kind of killed me just because it's something I never wanted them to have to go through."

Ms Wise is now in the ICU at a hospital in Austin with second and third degree burns over her body.

Kate Wise remains in the ICU, with second and third degree burns all over her body. Source: GoFundMe
Kate Wise remains in the ICU, with second and third degree burns all over her body. Source: GoFundMe

“She's lost her home, her kids are traumatised and she needs major reconstructive surgery,” the GoFundMe says.

“A single [mum], she's lost most of her furniture to smoke damage and other possessions to the fire.”

Ms Wise also needs to pay for childcare so her kids are looked after while she recovers and undergoes the surgeries she will need in the future.

Ms Wise hopes her story will raise awareness surrounding hand sanitiser and the potential dangers and prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Kate Wise's home is destroyed, along with many of her possessions, and the single mother has to pay or childcare while she recovers and upcoming surgeries. Source: GoFundMe
Kate Wise's home is destroyed, along with many of her possessions, and the single mother has to pay or childcare while she recovers and upcoming surgeries. Source: GoFundMe

“Just because you bought something from a store you trust, doesn't mean what they're selling is trusted or safe,” the GoFundMe page warns.

“COVID-19 has brought many unsafe products to our shelves. Many of which have not been properly tested and are not safe. Be careful of what you put on your body.

“Make sure what you are using is FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting