'Sliced my neck': Mum lucky to be alive after horrific gardening accident

WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT: A mum claims she’s lucky to be alive after a freak gardening accident.

Kendra Jensen was on the deck as her husband Andy mowed the lawn last week when something flew at her from about six to nine metres away.

Ms Jensen, from Idaho in the US, wrote on Facebook the object sliced her neck and shoulder open.

“Thankfully it missed my carotid, trachea, vocal cords and everything important,” she wrote.

Kendra Jensen in hospital as doctors attend to her neck and shoulder wounds. Source: Facebook/ Kendra Jensen

Luckily, Mr Jensen, who is a police officer, was able “to act quickly” using his training. His wife was rushed to hospital.

Images from hospital show Ms Jensen’s horrifying injuries with a gaping wound in her neck.

It was stitched up and within a matter of hours Ms Jensen was back home.

A wound is seen on Ms Jensen's shoulder as surgeons stitch her neck up. She believes the injuries were caused by a rock. Source: Facebook/ Kendra Jensen

“Today I got lucky,” she wrote.

“Today I'm a lesson that we all need to stay inside and away from lawnmowers when someone else is mowing. Today I'm thankful it was me and not one of my boys.”

She later added it was “the most traumatic event” of her life and she has PTSD.

It’s not clear exactly what sliced the mum open but she’s convinced it came from the lawnmower.

The family has searched their home to try and find whatever caused the wounds, but hasn’t found anything.

“We are thinking a rock that shattered and hit me in two spots because it sliced my neck and my shoulder at different angles,” she wrote.

Kendra Jensen is seen with stitches in her neck. The mum was on her deck when something flew at her from her husband's lawnmower slicing open her neck and shoulder. Source: Facebook/ Kendra Jensen

Pictures of her injuries were shared more than 4,600 times with people shocked by her story.

People compared her accident to something from the horror film Final Destination.

“Oh my God! So thankful you're OK! That's absolutely terrifying! Holy moly, this gives me chills,” one woman wrote.

Others added it comes as a reminder to be cautious whenever operating a lawn mower.

“Glad everything turned out and you’re OK,” one woman wrote.

“I'm always looking in my grass before I cut. A friend of mine was mowing the lawn and was walking backwards and tripped.

“He had shoes on (but) the lawn mower went over his foot. He almost lost his big toe but lost the two others beside it. So scary.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.