A Perth mother is demanding a public apology from her local council after the death of her dog at her local park.
Waikiki resident Gwen Dasborough says she was forced to put her beloved golden retriever to sleep after he ate rat poison from a broken bait box at the park.
Eleven-year-old Kaelen was an Australian show champion and one of the most important parts of Ms Dasborough’s life.
“He was my baby,” she said.
Ms Dasborough’s world was shattered when she had to put Kaelen to sleep following his deadly meal at Fantasy Park.
“He had blood pooling around his heart, in his lungs, in his abdomen,” Ms Dasborough explained.
Bait boxes are used by the City of Rockingham to control vermin in several of its parks.
Council says the bait boxes are bolted to the walls of toilet blocks, are “tamper-resistant” and contain a “bittering agent” to reduce the chances of pets and children ingesting them.
It has confirmed some of the boxes had been vandalised, exposing the poisonous pellets inside.
Kaelen is the second dog to ingest rat bait at the park in recent weeks after another golden retriever was seen eating one of the blue pellets near the play equipment.
While the dog survived, the incidents have scared other dog owners.
“She’ll stay on the lead – yeah, I definitely don’t want anything happening to her,” dog owner Michael said of his pet.
Ms Dasborough is demanding an apology from the City of Rockingham for the death of her dog and she wants the baits banned from all parks.
“There are toddlers that walk around here, there’s a sandpit… anybody could pick this stuff up,” she said.
The council has offered its condolences to Ms Dasborough and is asking the public to report any damaged bait stations.