Baby dies after mum allegedly rubs heroin on her gums to help her sleep

A baby girl has died after her mum allegedly rubbed heroin residue on her gums to help her sleep.

Kimberly Nelligan, 33, of Bangor in the US state of Maine, faced court on Wednesday.

She pleaded not guilty to charges of child endangerment and drug possession following the death of her one-year-old child in 2018.

The state medical examiner’s office determined that the cause of death was probable toxic effects of fentanyl, a powerful painkiller.

Kimberly Nelligan is accused of rubbing heroin on her daughter's gums which led to her death. She's pictured (right) making a rude gesture in court. Source: NBC Maine

The baby’s father told police a couple of months before their child died, he saw Nelligan rub heroin residue on her gums about 15 times, Bangor Daily News reported.

He said the baby was having trouble sleeping.

The paper also reported Nelligan denied using opioids initially during the investigation but later confessed to using heroin once a week for two months before her daughter died.

Nelligan is out of jail on a personal recognisance bond. She’s scheduled to appear in court on November 12.

With The Associated Press

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.