New Qld virus case, family causes scare

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

A family at the centre of a coronavirus scare on the Gold Coast has tested negative to the virus, a school principal has told parents in a letter.

The family was ordered into hotel quarantine, with some of them unwell after reportedly returning from Melbourne without quarantining.

Separately the Queensland government reported a new locally acquired case of COVID-19, a truck driver who is now in NSW.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the driver, who lives at Windaroo, returned a positive result amongst 10,433 virus tests in the 24 hours to 6.30am on Thursday.

The 46-year-old man was infectious in the community in Logan and the northern Gold Coast between August 28 and September 1.

He is the second truck driver to test positive in as many days.

"We are contacting him to find where he has been in Queensland," Ms Palaszczuk told parliament on Friday.

"This is an addition to the truck driver reported yesterday."

Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said a Gold Coast family of five were ordered into hotel quarantine after the children told their classmates they had been to Melbourne.

She said early indications are the family returned to the state undetected via an inland route without going into hotel quarantine.

Some family members were unwell with symptoms and the situation had been complicated by an initial refusal to cooperate with health authorities and contact tracers.

"Some of the family members are unwell, but we don't know if it's COVID (so) we have to treat it as if it is," Ms D'Ath told parliament.

The school, the Australian International Islamic College at Carrara, sent all students home on Thursday.

"I've had to ask that all children who attend that same school need to go into quarantine until we're able to get a test result from these two children," Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said on Thursday.

By late Thursday afternoon, health authorities had confirmed all family members had been tested.

Late on Thursday the principal of the school, Christine Harman, said she had been informed the results for all the family members had come back negative.

"Having conferenced with Queensland Health they have deemed that there is no risk of exposure at our Carrara campus and the need for students and staff to isolate has been lifted," she said in a statement.

The first truckie tested positive in NSW after being infectious while in Queensland last Thursday.

He visited service stations at Archerfield in southern Brisbane, Goondawindi and Bundamba, near Ipswich, on August 26.

He later tested positive when he returned to NSW, and Queensland authorities are trying to track down anyone who may have come into contact with him.

The latest COVID-19 case comes with Queensland's border shut to NSW for all but essential workers who have had at least one vaccine.

Ms Palaszczuk is waiting for further modelling on what will happen to unvaccinated 0 to 12-year-olds if borders reopen as vaccination rates increase.

"The prime minister undertook to get some further work done, is my understanding," she told parliament.

Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg earlier urged premiers not to delay opening up.

"My message to the premiers and the chief ministers is very clear: Do not delay the inevitable. You have to learn to live with COVID. COVID may come to your state within a week, it might be a month, it might be a little bit after that. But the reality is we can't eliminate the virus," he told Nine's Today program on Thursday.

Just under 52 per cent of eligible Queenslanders have had one vaccine and 32.28 per cent are fully vaccinated.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting