More questions for NSW premier over grants

·2-min read

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has again dodged questions in parliament over her role in the alleged 'pork-barrelling' of $252 million in government funds before the 2019 state election.

The grants have landed the premier in hot water after it emerged more than 95 per cent of the funds went to projects in coalition-held seats and a senior government adviser admitted shredding documents relating to their approval.

Sarah Lau, an adviser to the premier, last month told a NSW parliamentary committee she had shredded records showing Ms Berejiklian had "signed off" on $141.8 million of the council grant funding.

Ms Lau also deleted electronic copies, saying it was "normal record management practice".

NSW Labor has referred the matter to the NSW police commissioner for a potential breach of the State Records Act, and to the information commissioner for a potential breach of the Government Information (Public Access) Act.

On Tuesday during question time in parliament, Opposition Leader Jodi McKay again bombarded the premier with questions over her role in the funding approval.

"Why did your senior policy adviser write that you, and I quote, 'signed off' and 'approved' grants from this fund?

"Given that your office shredded the documents that you wrote on and deleted files relating to the Stronger Communities Fund, will you today direct the Department of Premier and Cabinet to recover these deleted files?"

The premier did not answer either question, but denies she approved the grants or had any involvement in the destruction of the documents.

"It's pleasing to know they've spent a lot of time in strategy thinking of original and new questions to ask me but ... no matter how difficult things are in our state, the people of NSW can be confident that our government will make sure we provide support where it's needed most," Ms Berejiklian told the parliament.