Mobile phone suddenly explodes in man's hand

·2-min read

A customer holding a phone battery in a repair shop in China gets a shock when it suddenly explodes in his hands with a loud bang.

The incident took place in the Chinese city of Deyang, which is located in central Sichuan province.

Footage shows the man standing at the counter in the mobile phone repair store.

A mobile phone explodes into flames while in a man's hands in a repair shop in China.
A man holds a mobile phone as it explodes into flames in China. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope

The repair shop worker hands him the battery, which he had reportedly just removed from the device that the customer had brought in.

The customer can be seen fumbling with the battery despite the repair shop worker reportedly telling him to avoid doing so as it could be dangerous and it suddenly explodes, startling the worker and a woman sitting behind a nearby counter.

The customer, who has not been named, drops the phone battery on the floor where it can be seen burning.

He had reportedly detected a bulge in his phone, which is why he had taken it to the repair shop.

The man drops the flaming phone to the ground as another man hurries away. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope
The man drops the flaming phone to the ground as another man hurries away. Source: AsiaWire/Australscope

The worker, who has been named as Mr Yin, had reportedly told him the bulge could be a sign there was a problem that could cause the phone to explode.

The make and model of the phone and the battery have not been reported.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

Warning over charging phone in your bed

Recently CPR Kids, an organisation run by paediatric registered nurses, warned people to stop charging their devices in bed.

The organisation shared images of burn marks on sheets, while a phone's damaged cord is also seen on the bed to show what can happen if you charge your device on the bed.

The post advised charging devices, such as tablets and phones, should be done on a flat surface, clear from flammable materials.

– Australscope, Yahoo News staff

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting