Mobile black spot funding round announced

Consultation is set to begin on the federal government's $40 million election commitment to address mobile phone black spots across the country

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland says feedback from industry and local communities will inform grant opportunity guidelines for the initiative.

More than $750 million over five years was set aside in last month's federal budget to address regional connectivity and resilience.

Some $400 million of the money will go to improving highway mobile coverage, with Regional Development Minister Catherine King vowing investments will be delivered "transparently and fairly".

Grant funding will be provided to network operators and infrastructure providers to address identified mobile coverage and quality of service issues in 54 target locations.

In addition to regional communities, the Black Spot Program will target coverage issues along a number of roads and highways to ensure motorists have access to essential services in the event of emergency.

"Enhancing connectivity ... will support economic and social activity, as well as public safety in under-served areas of rural and regional Australia," Ms Rowland said.

"I encourage industry and community stakeholders to contribute their feedback on the guidelines for this important program."

Interested parties are encouraged to have their say on draft guidelines by close of business on November 28 by visiting www.infrastructure.gov.au.