Up to 100 relatives of elderly people who died in Victoria nursing homes have held an emotional call with the federal aged care minister.
Richard Colbeck described the Zoom call on Thursday night as "pretty grim".
"They were obviously upset, they were distressed, some of them were angry, they were looking for answers about some of the events that had occurred," he told the Nine Network.
More reports have emerged of bodies being left in beds for hours, relatives having to say their final farewells to parents and grandparents over the phone, or not even getting the chance to say goodbye.
Deaths among Victorian aged care residents continues to be a major issue, with 10 of the 13 latest victims linked to nursing homes.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the Victorian situation was vastly different to an earlier outbreak at Sydney's Newmarch House nursing home, where 19 residents died.
Mr Morrison said Newmarch House staff remained on site throughout the crisis and there was no community outbreak.
"When you've got the level of community outbreak you've seen in Victoria then it gets into every workplace, whether you're running a newsagent or you're running an aged care facility or you're running a hospital," he said.
"There's still a lot of work to do and we're not on top of it yet."
More than 450 of Victoria's almost 5000 active cases are aged care residents and more deaths are expected in coming days.
Victoria recorded a massive 723 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday - the highest daily toll so far.
Across the state, some 105 people have died, taking the national toll to 189.
The federal government has oversight of privately operated nursing homes across the country.
Senator Colbeck said he was sorry for what the Victorian families were going through.
The minister pointed to shortages of aged care workers in the state after more than 400 became infected with the virus.
The federal government has sent Australian Defence Force medics to plug some gaps in Victorian nursing homes rosters.