Melbourne teen stabbing victim identified as horrific details revealed

·3-min read

Shock new details have emerged following the death of an 18-year-old man who was found with stab wounds at St Kilda beach in Melbourne on Sunday evening.

The Tarneit man, who's been identified by media as Hashim Mohamad, was found unresponsive by police with the knife still in his body, Victoria Homicide Squad Detective Acting Inspector Nigel L’Estrange told reporters on Monday.

The "traumatic" incident unfolded in public in front of "a number of witnesses" who were enjoying the balmy weather, Inspector L’Estrange said. It is unclear whether the victim was alone or with friends at the time of the alleged attack.

Emergency services were called to the popular beach in Melbourne's southeast suburbs at around 7.50pm following reports of people fighting. Police believe between five to six African males were involved.

The 18-year-old victim has been identified as Hashim Mohamad, who died in hospital on Sunday. Source: Herald Sun
The 18-year-old victim has been identified as Hashim Mohamad, who died in hospital on Sunday. Source: Herald Sun

"We have recovered one knife but we believe there were more knives used," he said.

Inspector L’Estrange said a number of bystanders offered assistance and first aid to the man before ambulance officers arrived. Paramedics worked on him before transporting him to hospital, where he later died.

Many witnesses, police say

Victoria Police are calling on witnesses to come forward as investigations continue. "At this time of day a lot of people were out because of the heat," Inspector L’Estrange said. "We believe there might have been a lot of people who caught this on mobile phone footage, or dashcam footage, and would ask those people to contact Crime Stoppers."

Police attending to 18-year-old male who was stabbed at St Kilda beach in Melbourne.
Police found the 18-year-old at St Kilda beach with a knife still lodged in his body. Source: Facebook via Herald Sun

Inspector L’Estrange said it was a "pretty traumatic event for those involved and for the people who witnessed" it. "It's a horrible incident to be done in public," he said.

An investigation continues into Mr Mohamad's death with police now looking for those involved. It's believed those responsible ran from the scene, but police "hope to make arrests soon".

A witness told the Herald Sun police were quick to swarm the area.

"There were cops everywhere. It was crazy," they said.

Tributes flow for Melbourne teen

Mr Mohamad has been described by his driving instructor as a "very nice guy". The 18-year-old reportedly passed his driving test on Friday morning — his driving instructor Rabiaa Chandab was one of the last people to see him alive, according to the Herald Sun.

Tributes have started to flow on social media, and one woman — believed to be a family member — said she's "still in shock".

Police are exploring if the attack was gang-related, however, there is currently nothing to indicate it was.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play