A persistent 92-year-old man on a mobility scooter refused to get off Melbourne’s Monash Freeway as traffic passed him at 100km/h.
Remarkable footage uploaded to Dash Cam Owners Australia Facebook page shows the elderly man, who had been reported missing earlier on Friday, slowly making his way onto the freeway from the merging lane of the Glen Waverley on-ramp about 3pm.
The driver of the vehicle behind him, who filmed the bizarre incident on his dashcam, approaches the man in his Audi and urges him to get off the road.
“Move over. You’re on the freeway... you’re not supposed to be on the freeway,” the driver named Bruce can be heard saying.
Yet the defiant man refuses and continues to drive along the freeway moving in between the left lane and the service lane.
Fearing for the man’s safety, Bruce stays behind him and calls emergency services.
“I just told him to try and pull over and he told me to f*** off,” Bruce told a triple-0 operator.
While the operator told Bruce he did not want him to risk his own safety by staying behind, the driver replied: “If I go off around him, he’s going to get collected.”
“He’s just driving along quite happily."
After driving about one kilometre down the freeway, a police car pulls up alongside the man in the service lane and manages to bring his adventure to an end.
Victoria Police told Yahoo News Australia in a statement the 92-year-old had been been reported missing by his family.
“A passing motorist spotted the 92-year-old man merging into traffic in the 100km/h zone and travelled behind him with hazard lights while calling triple-0,” Victoria Police said.
“Police quickly arrived and spoke to the Glen Waverley man and determined he had been reported missing a short time earlier by family members.
“He was taken to Glen Waverley Police Station where he was reunited with his family.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.