McDonald's serves pregnant woman coffee mixed with cleaning fluid

A pregnant woman has been left fearing for the life of her unborn child after she was served a coffee made with cleaning chemicals at a McDonald’s in Canada.

Sarah Douglas, who is eight months pregnant with her third child, knew something was wrong as soon as took a sip of her latte.

“I had no idea what I was drinking,” she told Global News. “I just knew it wasn’t coffee and tasted like chemical.”

Sarah Douglas ingested the cleaning chemicals after ordering a coffee from her local McDonald’s restaurant. Source: Lethbridge News Now

The mum had stopped at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Lethbridge in Alberta province and was forced to pull over on the side of the road to spit out the coffee and rinse her mouth with water.

She told the publication she was immediately worried about the health of her unborn baby after ingesting the chemicals.

When Ms Douglas returned to the restaurant with the drink, she was shocked to see the coffee machine was still connected to a bottle of cleaning chemicals.

The coffee machine was still hooked up to a bottle of cleaning solution, according to the McDonald’s franchisee. Source: Getty/Stock

The owner of the McDonald’s franchise, Dan Brown, apologised to the customer and issued a statement after the incident.

“Since learning about the complaint, our team has been in very close contact with the guest and apologised to her. The health inspector also visited my restaurant and is not investigating further.

“What happened is that the machine was being cleaned — as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made.”

Ms Douglas said she had contacted poison control and has met with her doctor as a precaution.