Aussies are desperately trying to enter a US Lotto draw that could see them win up to a massive $1.3 billion.
The MegaMillions Jackpot in the US has skyrocketed to become the second-biggest jackpot in history after nobody claimed the prize in Tuesday’s draw.
Hopeful punters are entering the $1.3 billion draw via Lottoland, a site that allows Australians to enter overseas lottos.
Its website currently says it is experiencing slight service disruptions as the demand is higher than normal due to the MegaMillions Jackpot.
News Corp reports 20,000 Australians have already entered the draw and the number is expected to double before the draw takes place on Saturday morning Australian time.
Earlier this year the government outlawed betting on overseas lotteries, signing the death warrant of Lottoland, and it could be the last time Australians can enter an overseas draw.
The Gibraltar-based company’s product, known as “synthetic lotteries”, will be banned in January next year after draft laws cleared the parliament in June.
The government and Labor united against synthetic lotteries after concerns they entice people away from traditional lotteries and the revenue they generate for newsagents, pubs and clubs.
Lottoland chief executive Luke Brill told News Corp this could be the last chance for Aussies to legally enter a Lotto draw this big.
“It’s unlikely there’s going to be a jackpot to get to this level again between now and January 9,” he said.