Man's terrifying allergic reaction after stepping out of shower

·News Reporter
·1-min read

A man has nearly died after stepping out of the shower due to his severe allergy to cold air.

The 34-year-old, from the US state of Colorado, got out of the shower and collapsed to the ground, researchers wrote in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine.

He began suffering from an allergic reaction and went into anaphylaxis.

The man was rushed to hospital and treated with antihistamines and epinephrine.

A man reaches for a bathrobe from the shower.
A man has nearly died due to a reaction to cold air after stepping out of the shower. Source: Getty Images, file

His family told doctors the man was allergic to cold air. He had just moved to Colorado from Micronesia, which had a tropical climate.

Doctors placed him in intensive care and an ice cube test was conducted to determine his condition.

He was diagnosed with cold-induced urticaria/anaphylaxis.

According to the Mayo Clinic, people with cold urticaria can have severe or mild reactions.

It’s a skin reaction to cold exposure which can lead to the patient getting welts and hives.

People with the condition normally rely on medication or avoiding cold conditions – particularly when wet.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting