Manhunt underway after man, 46, shot and dumped on road

A man is in hospital after being shot in the leg and dumped on a road near a major Gold Coast high school.

The 46-year-old man was discovered by police on the side of Helensvale Road, Helensvale at about 2.30pm on Thursday with what have been called “significant” injuries.

Police are on the hunt for three men in a silver hatch they believe were with the victim at the time he was dumped on the side of the road.

Detective Inspector Mark Thompson said all four men know each other.

“I don’t want to create any fear among the public that this is an ongoing dangerous situation … this isn’t a random act,” Detective Inspector Thompson said.

Paramedics treated the man at Helensvale before he was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition. Source: 7news

He said it was unclear whether the man was shot at the scene or earlier.

“There’s a lot of information that’s coming to us and we need to obviously look through that information and work towards getting a solid idea of what’s happened,” he said.

Police are calling for any witnesses who saw the silver hatch or the group of men at the scene.

They also believe all four men and the vehicle may have been at the Runaway Bay Shopping Centre on Lae Drive earlier in the day.

Police on scene after the discovery of a man on Thursday afternoon with what have been called “significant” injuries. Source: 7 News

Paramedics treated the man at the scene before he was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

The scene created havoc for parents and students at nearby Helensvale State High School, with unsuspecting students walking past detectives and crime scene tape on their way home.

The school used social media to inform parents to expect delays when collecting children because of road closures.

Detectives at the scene asked business owners of a nearby shopping complex, gym patrons and homebound students if they’d witnessed anything but none were aware of the incident until police arrived.