Man who triggered Byron Bay lockdown 'didn't believe in Covid'

·2-min read

A man hospitalised with Covid who forced Byron Bay into a snap seven-day lockdown on Monday night reportedly did not believe in the deadly virus.

The man in his 50s is accused of breaking Sydney’s lockdown to travel to northern NSW with his two children after coming into contact with a known Covid case.

Byron Shire Mayor Michael Lyon said locals feared an outbreak and there was no record of venues the man had visited.

Masked Australia Post worker walks down the main road in Byron Bay. Source: AAP
A man infected with Covid who forced Byron Bay into a snap seven-day lockdown on Monday night is being treated in hospital. Source: AAP

The mayor told Yahoo News Australia on Tuesday morning that the man was not cooperating with health authorities and did not use QR codes while in the area because he “doesn’t believe in them”.

When asked about speculation that the man also didn't believe in Covid, the mayor replied: “That's what I've heard. I’ve heard reports that he wasn’t taking it seriously at all".

“He’s probably taking it seriously now,” he said, adding that there is “no indication” the man will begin cooperating with health officials and contact tracers soon.

Man's children also positive in Byron Bay

The man in his 50s is being treated for Covid symptoms in hospital. His two children have also tested positive, the state's Chief Health Officer confirmed on Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, Mr Lyon told ABC Radio the situation is a “nightmare” and authorities are still working to create a list of “all exposure sites and work out where he’s been”.

“It’s been very difficult for police and health authorities to track down where he’s been, it’s ridiculous, you have to wonder what people are thinking when it comes to a situation like this.”

The Byron Bay shire lockdown, which came into effect at 6pm on Monday, was announced just hours after the regional city of Tamworth also joined the Hunter region and Armidale in a seven-day lockdown.

A young woman unknowingly infected with Covid visited the area from Newcastle.

NSW has recorded 356 new local Covid cases in the past 24 hours, its biggest spike since the start of the pandemic.

The state recorded another three deaths related to the Delta outbreak — a man and woman in their 80s, and a man in his 70s. None of them were vaccinated.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting