Fallen NSW walls kill one, injure another

Perry Duffin
1 / 2

A man has died after a wall collapsed on him in Carlingford, in Sydney's northwest.

A man has died after a wall collapsed on him in Carlingford, in Sydney's northwest.

Construction workers dug frantically to free a carpenter trapped beneath a brick wall that collapsed in powerful winds in Sydney before he went into cardiac arrest and died.

Residents close to the duplex structure in Carlingford Sydney's northwest heard a huge bang when the wall came down in 80km/h winds on Wednesday morning.

One worker who raced over to the pile of rubble recalled how his colleagues were screaming out for the man they knew as Tong.

"There was no response," the worker told Network Ten.

"We tried to find him and then we dig some brick and we find him and he's dead."

Paramedics performed CPR on the 30-year-old after he went into cardiac arrest, an ambulance spokesman told AAP, and did not survive.

NSW Police said the wall was blown over in the wind.

Jenny Birbara, who lives nearby, heard the crash but assumed it was just normal noise from the construction site - until she heard sirens.

Racing outside she saw Binh Nguyen, a worker from a nearby construction site, trying to help the trapped man.

"He was screaming for help and no one was helping," she told AAP.

Mr Nguyen remained at the worksite on Wednesday morning as police and Fire and Rescue NSW investigated the incident.

Fifteen minutes before the Carlingford fatality, paramedics treated a young man in Kellyville, about 20 kilometres away, for significant head injuries after he, too, was hit by a collapsing wall.

A worker at the Kellyville site told AAP he heard a crashing sound before he saw other workers running across the building site and pulling the injured and unconscious 19-year-old from the bricks.

The teenager was taken to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition. He was in a serious but stable condition on Wednesday evening.

SafeWork NSW sent inspectors to both sites, but they were slammed by the CFMEU for failing to properly regulate the industry.

"These days they don't go out and inspect sites unless there's been an accident," CFMEU state secretary Brian Parker told AAP on Wednesday.

"SafeWork is completely under-resourced ... they've taken more of a political line to be a self-regulator rather than a tough cop on the beat."