A Woolworths shopper says she and her partner were enjoying dinner when he bit and swallowed part of a dead frog hiding in the food.
Kathy McGee, from Ipswich, Queensland, posted on Facebook on Tuesday that she had purchased a pack of rainbow vegetable stir fry mix from her local supermarket on Sunday.
After sitting down to eat, the 61-year-old said her partner, Tony Palmer, 62, began “chewing on what he thought was a bit of cabbage but it tasted horrible”.
“When he took it out of his mouth he realised he was chewing on a dead frog,” she wrote.
Ms McGee told Nine News Mr Palmer is “quite convinced that's the part he's bit off and swallowed.”
She said the couple ran to the bathroom and became sick immediately after.
The 61-year-old told the publication she called Woolworths on Monday morning and was offered a refund and replacement package.
“I'm still angry about it. My husband — he's a big eater but he's been very cautious about what he's eaten in the last few days and he hasn't eaten much at all, it's put him off his food,” she told Nine News.
Ms McGee said she would like Woolworths to put in place better food packaging measures.
She also questioned how it was possible that the vegetables in the stir fry packet were diced but the frog was left whole.
A Woolworths spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia the supermarket chain takes “food safety very seriously and are concerned about these claims”.
“We're following the matter up with our salad supply partner and store team urgently.
“We're unaware of any further reports of a similar nature on pre-mixed salad products at this time.”
Facebook users shared their horror over the incident on Ms McGee’s post.
“Disgusting. What a horrible experience. Thanks for the heads up,” one woman said.
“That's shocking and I definitely think you deserve more than a refund,” another woman wrote.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.