A man accused of kidnapping and raping a 24-year-old European tourist in South Australia is seeking release from prison on bail, a court has heard.
The 52-year-old allegedly snatched and attacked the woman east of Adelaide in February after responding to an advertisement she had posted online seeking work.
He faced Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday where he indicated he was going to apply for bail but there had been a mix-up with the dates and his lawyer was not present.
Prosecutor Emma Roper said the Director of Public Prosecutions would be opposed to the bail application.
The backpacker had been missing for a day before she was found at a Murray Bridge motel thanks to a tip-off from a member of the public.
Police said that during her ordeal, she managed to get a message to her family in Europe and another to a friend in Queensland, providing clues about her location.
After she was found, police swooped on a farmhouse in Meningie and arrested the man.
He is charged with three counts of rape and one of unlawfully detaining the woman.
Police said the tourist posted an ad on classifieds website Gumtree in search of work in Victoria, and her alleged captor had responded.
The court previously heard the man, who can't be named for legal reasons, may have other victims.
He will return to court on Thursday where he is expected to apply for bail.