Man rushed to hospital after shisha pipe he was smoking burst into flames

A 29-year-old man has been rushed to hospital suffering burns to his airways, chest and arm after a shisha pipe he was smoking caught fire.

It’s understood the man was smoking the traditional Middle Eastern water pipe, also known as a Hookah, with family members when it caught fire in a North Parramatta residence on Saturday afternoon.

The man is seen being treated by paramedics. Source: Careflight

NSW paramedics were on the scene providing medical assistance when CareFlight’s Rapid Response Helicopter landed shortly after 2:18pm in a nearby park.

NSW Fire and Rescue crews were also attended.

The man was placed in an induced coma to stabilise him while he was transported to Concord Hospital’s specialist burns unit, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.