A MAN HAS KILLED FOUR PEOPLE AND INJURED 20 OTHERS AFTER DRIVING A CAR THROUGH MELBOURNE'S BOURKE STREET MALL.
HOW THE INCIDENT UNFOLDED:
- 2am - A man was linked to a stabbing in Windsor but left the scene before police arrived
- 8am - The same man turned up in the background of a Nine news report about the stabbing. He was waving his hat out the window of the car behind a reporter as she spoke to the camera
- 11.45am: He reportedly held a woman hostage in a car. She escaped, jumping out of the moving vehicle on Bolte Bridge as his car sped off
- 1.30pm: The same car is spotted doing burnouts outside Flinders Street Station. Police brought in a helicopter and the man fled with police in pursuit
- 1.35pm: The car then apparently deliberately struck a number of pedestrians in the vicinity of Bourke and Queens streets.Three were killed, a man and a woman in their 30s and a child aged 10. Twenty people were injured, including five children, along Bourke Street
- 2.20pm: Police fire shots. The same man is pulled from his car and arrested near William and Bourke streets. He had been shot in arm. He was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He remains in hospital under police guard
- 2.30pm: Victoria Police confirm the situation has been contained
- 3.20pm: Police confirm three are dead and that the incident is not terror related
- 4.30pm: Officers confirm one of the dead is a child. Police set up a large exclusion zone as their investigation commences
- 5pm: Police say the man was known to them, had an extensive family violence history as well as mental health and drug-related issues.
- 6pm: Five people listed as critical, a three-month-old is in the operating theatre and a two-year-old is in intensive care.
- 9pm: Police announce a fourth person has died in hospital.