Australia's peak electricians body is calling on the Queensland government to mandate safety switches after a man was electrocuted in the state's southeast.
The 53-year-old man was killed while working at a veterinarian surgery in Capalaba, east of Brisbane, on Tuesday afternoon.
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland are investigating and a report will be prepared for the coroner.
Master Electricians Australia (MEA) chief executive Malcolm Richards says the incident underlines the need for mandated safety switches.
"The importance of electrical safety cannot be overstated," he said in a statement on Wednesday.
Mr Richards said safety switches cut power in a few hundredths of a second if there's any electrical incident.
He said safety switches are designed to prevent death or serious injury from electric shocks, unlike circuit breakers which protect equipment.
"But they can only save lives if they are working properly, and that's why you need to perform a very simple and safe test every now and then, just to check they are functioning as they should," Mr Richard said.
The MEA called on the Queensland government to change safety laws to mandate that safety switches are installed on all premises and homes, rather than just new properties as currently happens.