Man dies after e-cigarette explodes in his face

A man has been killed just days shy of his 25th birthday after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.

William Brown, from Fort Worth in Texas, was using the device in the car park outside a vaping shop in the nearby town of Keller on January 27, when it exploded.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s office says shrapnel from the explosion severed his left carotid artery and peppered his skull. He went into cardiac arrest and died two days later.

The 24-year-old’s grandmother Alice Brown said he was placed in a medically induced coma and that X-rays showed that part of the e-cigarette was lodged in his throat.

“That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there,” Ms Brown told KTVT.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office reports 24-year-old William Brown of Fort Worth died two days after a vaporizer pen he was using exploded. Source: AP
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office reports 24-year-old William Brown of Fort Worth died two days after a vaporizer pen he was using exploded. Source: AP

“That went across his lip, apparently somehow, and cut his lip.”

She added he had only just bought the device and was using it for the first time.

“He had a future ahead of him; a life ahead of him,” she added.

A similar incident also killed a Florida man last May, when 38-year-old Tallmadge D’Elia of St Petersburg died after his exploding vape pen sent two fragments into his skull.

He also suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body. The death was ruled an accident.

Stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo7’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting