Man dies after being trapped under landfill at Sydney tip

A man is dead and another seriously injured after a bulldozer accident at a western Sydney tip.

Emergency services arrived at the tip at Kangaroo Avenue at Eastern Creek about 12:45pm on Monday, following reports two people were trapped under landfill.

One man, believed to be in 40s, died at the scene, while another, believed to be in his 30s, was taken to Westmead Hospital with abdominal and shoulder injuries, a NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said.

NSW Ambulance Inspector Michael Magyary said emergency services and colleagues began a "frantic search" for the man who was believed to be buried under the debris.

A bulldozer and ambulances are photographed at the scene. Source: 9News

About 15 minutes later his body was found, Inspector Magyary said.

"Somebody won't be going home tonight, so it's always sad to be involved in a job where somebody has lost their life at work," he told Ten News.

A SafeWork NSW spokesperson said a bulldozer was involved in the incident.

“SafeWork understands two workers were involved in a bulldozer accident. One has been fatally injured, the other worker has been taken to hospital. SafeWork will be conducting an investigation.”

On Twitter, SafeWork said the men had been ‘struck’ by the bulldozer.

The tragedy is the latest of a spate of worksite deaths that have occurred in Sydney in recent months.

Earlier this year, an 18-year-old man died after scaffolding collapsed at a worksite in Macquarie Park.

In the same week, an Ausgrid worker died after being electrocuted in Sydney's Lower North Shore.

In November, a young father was tragically killed during a workplace accident just one week before his little boy’s first birthday.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.