A man who reportedly tried to fend off an alleged attacker in the death of a 61-year-old woman in Melbourne’s northeast has charged at a television crew in the wake of the incident.
Dramatic footage from the scene in Heidelberg West on Tuesday evening shows the man with a bloodied white top sprint towards the Nine News camera.
A police officer sets chase as the man allegedly grabs the camera, blocking its lens.
Police had earlier been called to a house at Liberty Parade at about 8pm on Tuesday, with reports of an aggravated burglary.
They believe a man broke into the home and assaulted the woman, who died at the scene.
Another man, believed to be known to the victim, allegedly arrived during the attack to help and restrain her attacker until police arrived.
He is understood to be the man filmed by Nine News crews, News Corp reported. Victoria Police are investigating the alleged attack of the cameraman.
Cameraman Scott Whiston told the Herald Sun he initially thought the man was running from police and said the incident was “intimidating”.
A 28-year-old man from Heidelberg West, accused of attacking the 61-year-old woman, was taken to hospital where he remains under police guard. Police confirm that man had no involvement in the incident where the cameraman was attacked.
Homicide detectives are trying to piece together exactly what happened but say they are not looking for any further offenders.
Witnesses near the scene told the Herald Sun they heard screams coming from the woman’s home while earlier seeing a man behaving erratically in the street.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.