Man charged over NT tourist bus crash

·1-min read

A 43-year-old man has been charged in relation to a tourist bus crash near Hermannsburg in the Northern Territory earlier this year which left one person dead and four holidaymakers in hospital.

Police say the man was arrested in Alice Springs on Wednesday and charged with two counts of negligently causing serious harm.

He is an employee of the bus tour company but not the driver of the bus.

Detective Senior Sergeant Brendan Lindner said major crash detectives are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident in June.

"Police expect additional charges related to the death of a passenger and other injured passengers to be laid at a later time," he said.

The tour bus was carrying 19 interstate passengers when it crashed about 125km west of Alice Springs.

"They were doing a day tour out of Alice Springs and they were on their way back," Detective Senior Sergeant Michael Schumacher told reporters at the time.

"It's a major road with a lot of people travelling up and down it. It's a terrible tragedy. Someone has lost their life while holidaying in central Australia."

A 69-year old-male passenger died at the scene.

Four other passengers, including three women aged 62, 67 and 70 and a man aged 60, were taken to the Alice Springs Hospital with serious injuries.

The driver suffered cuts and bruising and was treated at an Aboriginal community clinic.

The man charged was bailed to appear in Alice Springs Local Court on Thursday.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting