Man charged over fatal NT arrow shooting

·1-min read

A man has been charged with manslaughter over the death of another man who was shot with an arrow in a remote Northern Territory community.

Police say the 36-year-old victim was shot in the chest in Peppimenarti, 320km southwest of Darwin, on Tuesday night.

He was pronounced dead after being taken to a local health clinic just before midnight.

NT Police on Thursday said an 18-year-old man had been charged with manslaughter and would face Darwin Local Court.

Major crime detectives and crime scene examiners have been sent to the community and officers from the Territory Response Group, NT Police's tactical group, are there in a support capacity.

"Police are working with elders, the local council and other government agencies to maintain community safety," police said in a statement.

Detectives believe the incident is linked to ongoing unrest in nearby Wadeye, where violent clashes between rival Indigenous clans were reported earlier this year.

"We believe it will be connected to the ongoing disturbances out there over a period of time," Detective Senior Sergeant Paul Morrissey told reporters.

NT Chief Minister Natasha Fyles said the government was working to address issues in the region.

"These are complex, multifaceted issues that we will continue to address," she said on Wednesday.

All council services in Peppimenarti have been closed until further notice as a result of the incident, West Daly Regional Council said.