Man arrested over knife attack on 4 tenants of Bukit Merah flat

·Editorial Team
·2-min read
The incident took place in a second floor unit at Block 2 Jalan Bukit Merah Road. (PHOTO: Google Street View screengrab)
The incident took place in a second floor unit at Block 2 Jalan Bukit Merah Road. (PHOTO: Google Street View screengrab)

SINGAPORE — A 48-year-old man was arrested on Sunday (6 June) for allegedly attacking four people with a knife at a HDB flat in Bukit Merah.

Three people suffered knife wounds during the incident, while another "fell down a flight of steps while fleeing the scene", said the police in a Facebook post.

Police said they responded at around 6am to case of assault at the the flat along 2 Jalan Bukit Merah Road. 

Officers who were patrolling in the area were approached by a 59-year-old woman with blood-stained hands at the ground floor of the block. They then proceeded to the unit of the block's second floor. 

"Preliminary investigations revealed that a 48-year-old Singaporean Chinese man had allegedly attacked four individuals, who are residing in the unit, with a knife. He allegedly entered the unit while the four individuals were asleep and assaulted two female tenants of the unit with a knife," said the police.

Two male tenants of the unit heard the women calling for help and attempted to subdue the assailant. Another 31-year-old male tenant, who had been awoken by the commotion, fled the unit to seek assistance from the police officers on patrol nearby. He did not suffer any injuries.

The officers subdued the alleged assailant at the unit and arrested him for voluntarily causing grievous hurt with a dangerous weapon, possession of an offensive weapon and drug-related offences. 

Four people were taken to the hospital for their injuries: a 39-year-old Vietnamese woman, 59-year-old Malaysian woman and 24-year-old Malaysian man – who all sustained knife wounds and are undergoing medical treatment – and the 18-year-old Malaysian man who fell down the stairs.

The Malaysian teenager and Vietnamese woman were listed as being in stable condition.

Police said the alleged assailant is believed to have acted alone and that there are no indications the attack was an act of terror. The man's criminal record showed he had several drug offences since 1991. He was last released from prison on 6 October last year following a drug-related conviction for which he was sentenced to seven years' jail and six strokes of the cane.

Investigations into the case are ongoing and police have stepped patrols in the vicinity of the incident.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

More Singapore stories:

Sinovac COVID vaccine approved for use in Singapore: MOH

Possible easing of COVID restrictions after 13 June if community cases fall further: Lee Hsien Loong

Singapore to make over-the-counter DIY COVID-19 tests available to residents

COVID-19: Vaccination bookings for Singapore students to begin from 1 June