Man arrested after two boys killed and three people injured

Ash Cant
·2-min read

A man has been arrested following a deadly crash which killed two boys in NSW’s Central West.

Emergency services were called to Warne Street at Wellington, near Dubbo, about 4.30pm on Tuesday following reports of five pedestrians being hit by a car.

NSW Police were told the woman, 34, and four young boys were walking on the grass at the side of the road when they were struck by the car.

The children were aged six, seven, nine and 10, NSW Police said.

A helicopter lands next to an ambulance in Wellington, NSW.
Two children were killed following a car crash in Wellington, in NSW, with police arresting the driver. Source: Nine News

NSW Ambulance paramedics were on the scene to treat the pedestrians, but despite their best efforts, two of the boys aged six and seven died a short time later.

The 34-year-old woman was airlifted to Sydney’s Westmead Hospital in a critical condition, however Acting Superintendent Natalie Antaw told the Today Show on Wednesday she was now in a stable condition.

The 10-year-old boy sustained serious leg injuries and was airlifted to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead and underwent surgery, NSW Police said in a statement early on Wednesday morning.

The nine-year-old boy sustained minor injuries and was taken to Orange Base Hospital.

NSW Ambulance Superintendent Andrew Degabriel described the scene as “absolutely devastating”.

“It’s heartbreaking for this to happen to such a small community,” he said in a statement.

Police tape cordons off Warne Street in Wellington.
Police arrested a 25-year-old man after a short chase. Source: Nine News

Police arrest driver following pursuit

Before police arrived at Warne Street following the incident, the 25-year-old driver of the vehicle allegedly left the scene.

Just after 8.40pm on Tuesday, a 25-year-old man was arrested near Elizabeth Street in Wellington following inquiries and a short foot chase.

NSW Police said the man was taken to Dubbo Hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing.

The man was then taken to Dubbo Police Station where he is assisting police with their inquiries.

A crime scene was established at the Warne Street location and NSW Police said it would be examined by specialists from the Crash Investigation Unit.

On Wednesday morning, Acting Supt Antaw said the man had not yet been charged and she hoped the community would rally around those impacted by the crash.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.