Man, 58, burnt in backyard barbecue blaze

A bungle with a barbecue has left a 58-year-old man with severe burns following a gas leak on the NSW Central Coast.

The man was grilling steak on Monday evening, when a nine-kilogram gas bottle came loose as he dialled up the heat on the barbecue.

Escaping gas ignited and caused serious burns to his face and upper body.

Firefighters were able to control the blaze and placed the victim under a shower until ambulance crews arrived.

The man was transferred by medical helicopter to the Royal North Shore Hospital burns unit, where he was admitted in a stable condition.

People should keep a constant supply of water on hand for emergencies when using their barbecue, Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry.

He also advised the public to regularly service their barbecues to prevent accidents.