A 30-year-old man in Queensland has died, becoming the youngest coronavirus-related death in Australia.
Queensland's Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young confirmed the man from Blackwater, west of Rockhampton, had pre-existing health issues and was found dead inside his home.
The man tested positive for coronavirus in a post-mortem examination and had been showing symptoms prior to his death.
The man had not been to get tested for coronavirus despite his symptoms which he is believed to have had for several weeks, with his partner now also showing symptoms.
She is currently in isolation, and her first coronavirus test has returned a negative result but will be tested again later.
His partner had returned from work to find him unresponsive at their home on Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities are investigating whether the virus or the man's other known illnesses caused his death.
Queensland town on high-alert
Dr Young said it was vital people in the Blackwater community to come forward and get tested.
“If anyone has any symptoms, or a fever, or a history of a fever, it's important that you come forward and be tested as soon as you develop those symptoms or fever so that we cannot only look after you, but your family, and also the community,” she said.
“Then we can go and contact trace people you have been in contact with, both to find out where you acquired it, but also whether or not you have passed it on to other people.”
A team of public health experts and additional contact tracing resources have been deployed from Brisbane to Blackwater to track the possible source of the virus.
The victim has not worked since November and has not left the central Queensland town since February.
His death is Australia’s 103rd coronavirus-related death, and the seventh in the state.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.