Major twist after couple found naked and dead in hotel shower

·News Editor
·2-min read

A major breakthrough has been made in the case of a couple found naked and dead inside a hotel shower.

Engaged couple Mari Hoon, 28, and Jéan Vosloo, 25, were enjoying a long weekend at Zuuranys farm in Kareedouw, South Africa, when a friend discovered their lifeless bodies on April 26, 2020. 

Police said in a statement they investigated the mysterious circumstances around the deaths as they had no visible injuries and a toxicology report revealed the couple died from carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Mari Hoon and Jean Vosloo pose for a photo.
Mari Hoon and Jéan Vosloo were found dead on April 26, 2020. Source: Facebook

In a major twist in the case, police have now arrested the owner of the hotel, Kevin Pretorius, and charged him with two counts of murder. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless and colourless gas that can be lethal. 

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. 

A toilet and basin in the bathroom of the Kliphius guesthouse.
The bathroom of the Kliphius guesthouse where the couple was staying. Source: kougakliphuis.co.za

"CO symptoms are often described as 'flu-like'," according to the CDC.

"If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms."

Mari Hoon's sister 'angry, shocked'

Mari's sister Sune Hoon told South African news publication YOU she was "angry, confused and shocked" when she discovered the cause of the couple's cause of death. 

"We still don't know how it happened. According to the report, the levels [of carbon monoxide] were over 70 per cent but we're still in the dark as to how and why this happened," she said. 

"Our family hasn't been able to come to terms with it."

Jean Vosloo and Mari Hoon pose for a photo on a cliff.
Mr Vosloo and Ms Hoon were described as the 'perfect couple'. Source: Facebook

Following the news they had succumbed to carbon-monoxide poisoning, Ms Hoon described Mari and Jéan as the "perfect couple".

"I think Mari knew from the start that Jéan was the man she wanted to marry. They were a perfect couple," she said.

"They were like peanut butter and syrup – they did everything together."

The sister added Mari had been excited to visit the farm where she died after seeing it advertised on Facebook years before that fateful weekend.

Investigators initially believed the carbon-monoxide poisoning was the result of a gas leak as the shower operated on a gas heater. 

Pretorius will front the Humansdorp Regional Court on May 24. 

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting