A person has died and two others are injured after a knife-wielding man unleashed an attack in Melbourne’s Bourke Street on Friday afternoon.
Police shot the man when he approached officers swinging the knife and he has since died in hospital.
Moments earlier, a ute had burst into flames on the busy CBD strip about 4.20pm.
The three stabbing victims are all male.
At a press conference on Friday evening, Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton confirmed the gunman, 31, had died in hospital, succumbing to his injuries about half an hour after his arrival.
He also confirmed police are treating it as a terror incident. He said the attacker was a “person of interest” and was known to police before.
He said the man had moved to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s and was known to ASIO.
“We now know a bit more about the identity of that person,” he added.
“Initially that person didn’t have any identification on them but we believe we now have confirmation of the identity of that person.”
Comm Ashton said the counter-terrorism unit was investigating and he couldn’t give details of the attacker’s identity.
The chaos began when emergency services were called to a car fire on the corner of Swanston and Bourke streets about 4.20pm.
It was brought under control within about five minutes, a Metropolitan Fire Brigade spokeswoman said.
Comm Ashton confirmed there were gas canisters present inside the man’s ute.
A witness told 3AW they saw a pedestrian struck by the vehicle while another said her friends had seen someone with a knife in the area and she’d been told “he’d stabbed a security guard”.
Footage from the scene shows the man approach officers with a knife, making lunging motions.
An officer then shot the man in the chest. He was taken to hospital under police guard.
Police said they are not looking for anyone further at this early stage of the investigation.
Ambulance Victoria said paramedics assessed three people at the scene, one which was later announced dead shortly after.
Two other men, aged 26 and 52, were taken to hospital, one with a head injury. Their injuries are non-life threatening. Witnesses told news outlets that one man had been stabbed in the face.
A police officer was also treated for a minor injury at the scene.
The public warning system was utilised for the first time during the incident.
Victoria Police has urged members of the public to submit any footage or images of the incident to their Facebook page.