There's been a major breakthrough in the harrowing case of two young children whose bodies were found in suitcases purchased at an auction in Aukland, New Zealand.
The grisly find was made on August 11 after the contents of the abandoned storage unit were sold to the highest bidder. It was only when the buyers returned home that they discovered the young corpses inside.
On Thursday, police in New Zealand announced an arrest had been made in the case that rocked the country last month.
Authorities said a 42-year-old woman has been taken into custody in South Korea by local authorities, at the behest of New Zealand police.
She was arrested under a warrant related to two counts of murder of the young children, Detective Inspector Tofilau Fa’amanuia Vaaelua said in a statement.
"The arrest warrant was issued by the Korean Courts as a result of a request by NZ Police for an arrest warrant under the extradition treaty between New Zealand and the Republic of Korea," he said.
New Zealand authorities are requesting that she remain in custody while her extradition back to the country is arranged.
"To have someone in custody overseas within such a short period of time has all been down to the assistance of the Korean authorities and the coordination by our NZ Police Interpol staff," the detective said.
Police have previously said the children were aged between 5 and 10 years old and were dead for a number of years before being found. One was a boy and and one a girl.
The parents were of South Korean heritage but married in New Zealand, where both children were born, Stuff.co.au reported earlier.
Late last month it was revealed the father of the two children died from cancer in 2017.
The confounding and deeply disturbing case has captivated the country and generated global headlines as police work to unravel the mystery of their deaths.
There are still a number of enquiries to be completed both in New Zealand and overseas, police said on Thursday.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.