The mother of the teen construction worker who was killed on Monday when a 15-metre scaffolding tower collapsed on top of him has taken to Facebook to share a heartbreaking tribute to her son.
Eighteen-year-old Christopher Cassaniti’s mother, Patrizia, shared a photo of the pair together days after the apprentice died at the Macquarie Park worksite on Epping Road on Monday.
“My Guardian Angel .. sooo much pain,” she captioned the image.
She later shared a longer post, detailing the immense pain the family is suffering over the death of their son who was “loved by so many”.
“He has left us but will forever be in our heart,” she wrote on Wednesday.
“He was extremely considerate and had a heart of gold. He will be sorely missed.
“We are extremely heartbroken.”
She also thanked the community for their response to their son’s death, saying the family are “overwhelmed” with the messages of support and the visits to their home.
Her posts follow a family statement which was issued to media on Tuesday.
She had been at the worskite, working in the canteen, when the scaffolding came crashing down, killing her son.
Calls for stricter safety measures in wake of death
The family are calling for the government to ensure stringent safety measures are implemented at construction sites following the incident which also left a 39-year-old in a critical condition in hospital.
Mr Cassaniti’s family said they didn’t want the young tradesman’s death to be “just another statistic”.
“We ask that the government step in and take immediate action and implement stringent measures regarding safety on construction sites,” his uncle Joe Cassaniti said on Tuesday.
“Crucial safety checks and procedures need to be front and centre of every construction site.”
He said the family was awaiting answers on what went wrong on Monday as questions arise over the safety measures in place on the Epping Road site.
“We will miss him dearly. Christopher was the jewel of our family.
“One dead is too many.”
Paramedics were initially unable to reach the worker who was trapped under rubble and was pronounced dead at the scene a few hours after the incident.
“You’re wasting time,” one worker yells.
“If you move anything more, it could collapse,” an officer responds, saying other emergency crews are needed to stabilise the site.
Mr Cassaniti turned 18 last Wednesday and hosted a birthday party on Saturday.
The circumstances of his death are being investigated by SafeWork NSW and police.
Some 35 workers died on NSW construction sites in the two years to June 2017, according to the State Insurance Regulatory Authority.
Construction is also one of the most common industries for major workplace injuries with one in every 67 workers injured in the year to June 2017.
– with AAP
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.