Lightning sparks fires in two Canberra houses as storms hit capital

Lightning strikes sparked fires in the roof spaces of two Canberra houses today as storms swept through the capital.

Lightning struck the gas main of a house in Dunlop as a storm swept through Canberra, which then sparked the fire, according to fire crews.

The roof space for the property was fully engulfed, and firefighters were forced to pull metal roof sheeting away to get better access to the roof space.

There was extensive heat, smoke and water damage to the home, and a car parked in the garage was also destroyed.

Fire crews estimated the damage bill to be more than $200,000.

The second fire was sparked when lightning struck the roof of a house in Bonython.

The blaze was also in the roof space of the house but caused less damage than the Dunlop fire.

Firefighters extinguished both blazes.