Light wand poses choking hazard

AAP

A battery-powered wand has been removed from Spotlight shelves because it is a choking hazard to children, Western Australia's Consumer Protection says.

Acting commissioner Gary Newcombe said the Rainbow Light Wand could break open easily when dropped, exposing the toy's button batteries, which children can choke on.

"Our concern is that there may still be many of these toys in the community and we want parents in particular to be aware of the danger as they could result in serious injury, permanent disability or even death," Mr Newcombe said.

Consumer Protection says about 20 Australia children every week attend an emergency department suspected of swallowing a button battery.