Legislation fast-tracks new SA hospital

Legislation to fast-track work on Adelaide's new $3.2 billion Women's and Children's Hospital has passed state parliament, clearing planning and development barriers related to the proposed site.

It passed the lower house on Wednesday night after more than 10 hours of debate.

The legislation was necessary after the Labor government opted to change the location and use a site occupied by the SA police barracks that included some heritage-listed buildings.

"We will now get on with delivering our commitment to provide better care for children, increase capacity in our hospitals and boost parklands access for families," Health Minister Chris Picton said.

"We will continue listening to our clinicians throughout this process, which puts the health-care needs of future generations first."

The new hospital will have 414 beds, 76 more than the existing hospital, along with a 24 per cent increase in treatment spaces.

There will be a four-bed intensive care unit for women, while critical care services will all be located on one floor, including birthing rooms, operating theatres, a paediatric ICU and a neonatal ICU.

A dedicated heliport will have direct access to critical clinical areas.

The government has vowed to return more than 30,000 square metres of land surrounding the hospital to parklands, giving the public greater access to currently blocked-off or dilapidated areas.

Premier Peter Malinauskas said previously he appreciated that choosing to build on a heritage-listed site would create a degree of concern within the community.

But he said the alternative location chosen by the former Liberal government would have been outgrown in a decade.

"It isn't a decision without a degree of controversy, but it is a decision focusing on doing what is right for our health system into the long term," Mr Malinauskas said.