LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Melbourne's lockdown will be extended for another week in an effort to stamp out an outbreak of a highly contagious and fast-spreading coronavirus variant.
* Acting Premier James Merlino said the Indian variant of COVID-19 currently spreading in the community was "quicker and more contagious than we have ever seen before".
* Restrictions will be eased in regional Victoria from 11:59pm on Thursday if there continues to be no cases of community transmission.
* Victoria recorded six new locally acquired cases on Wednesday, including a family of four who travelled to Jervis Bay in NSW.
* The case has forced almost 250 NSW residents into insolation and prompted ramped-up testing on the NSW South Coast.
* A second resident at Melbourne aged care facility Arcare Maidstone has tested positive, though the case will likely be included in Thursday's figures.
* To help soften the increased lockdown blow to businesses, the Victorian government expanded its support package from $250 million to $460 million.
* Mr Merlino again called on the federal government to provide wage subsidies to those affected by the extension.
* Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said he would review Victoria's renewed request for support.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison rejected blame for Victoria's extended lockdown amid renewed pressure on his government over quarantine and the vaccine rollout.
* Queensland's aged care and disability workers are now at the front of the COVID-19 vaccine queue after the Victorian outbreak raised concern about the rollout speed in private facilities.
* A repatriation flight from India arrived in Western Australia as authorities continue to investigate a new COVID-19 hotel quarantine leak.
* South Australia's chief public health officer defended a decision to give Collingwood a COVID-19 exemption to travel to Adelaide for this weekend's AFL game against the Adelaide Crows.
* Collingwood will fly in and out of Adelaide for their clash with the Crows, while the AFL has assured players extended road trips aren't on the agenda just yet.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 4,501,444 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Tuesday, including 138,705 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 2,860,154 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 85,859 in the previous 24 hours).
* 2,498,644 have been issued in primary care (+73,390) and 361,510 in aged and disability facilities (+12,469).
* 1,641,290 have been administered by the states and territories, including 52,846 in the previous 24 hours.
* 513,375 have been administered in Victoria (+19,338), 447,260 in NSW (+14,313), 236,701 in Queensland (+8488), 175,884 in Western Australia (+3528), 112,530 in South Australia (+3351), 70,273 in Tasmania (+1846), 50,410 in the ACT (+902) and 34,857 in the NT (+1080).
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported six new locally acquired virus cases on Wednesday, all in Victoria.
* There have been seven new overseas acquired cases recorded in hotel quarantine: five in SA, and one each in Queensland and NSW.
* The national death toll is 910: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3 (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 171,192,000
* Deaths: at least 3,565,000
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 1,934,464,000.
Data current as of 1845 AEST on June 2, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.