LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia smashed its daily record for new coronavirus cases on Thursday with the dire outbreak in NSW pushing the nation past 1100 for the first time.
* A record 1029 new local COVID-19 cases were reported in NSW and three deaths.
* The lockdown in regional NSW has been extended by two weeks, with Deputy Premier John Barilaro warning rural communities are "a tinderbox ready to explode" with COVID-19 cases.
* However, restrictions were eased slightly for the state's fully vaccinated, with up to five people - outside of western Sydney's 12 local government areas of concern - able to gather outdoors from September 13.
* 80 new infections were also reported in Victoria, 18 of which were diagnosed in regional town Shepparton.
* Emergency relief has been sent to Shepparton after almost a third of its population was sent in isolation, leaving food distributors, supermarkets and pharmacies among businesses forced to reduce operating hours due to staff shortages.
* The ACT recorded 14 new coronavirus infections, with the government tempering expectations that restrictions will be significantly eased any time soon.
* In the Northern Territory, restrictions in Greater Darwin and Katherine have been lifted as planned while the vaccine rollout has been expanded to all children aged 12 to 15 in the territory.
* Meanwhile, more children nationwide will soon be able to access a jab, with the vaccine rollout to be expanded to those aged 12 to 15.
* National airline Qantas said it believes Christmas is still on the radar for international travel, based on the speed of the coronavirus vaccine rollout.
* Queensland has started work on a COVID-19 quarantine camp without federal government support, as it moves to replace the hotel quarantine program.
* In New Zealand's latest COVID-19 outbreak, daily cases continue to grow with 68 new infections reported on day nine of a national lockdown.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 18,083,207 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Wednesday, including 335,420 in the previous 24 hours.
* 10,552,885 have been administered by the Commonwealth, including 193,260 in the previous 24 hours.
* 7,530,322 have been administered by the states and territories, including 142,160 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 55.2 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 32.3 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1123 local cases on Wednesday: 1029 in NSW, 80 in Victoria and 14 in the ACT.
* There were also seven overseas-acquired cases reported: five in NSW and two in Queensland.
* The national death toll is 987: Victoria 820, NSW 133, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 213,920,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,463,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,045,348,000.
Data current as at 1730 AEST on August 26, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.