* Victoria announced 70 new cases and five new deaths on Monday, taking the national death toll to 657. Two of the newly announced deaths occurred prior to Monday in aged care facilities.
* The Victorian government has announced its "reopening roadmap" will be unveiled on Sunday, with Melbourne and the state's regional areas to come under separate plans.
* A six-month extension to the Victorian government's state of emergency powers is expected to pass parliament after an intervention by the Greens.
* NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced an easing of the state's border permit system with Victoria, re-establishing a 50km border buffer zone from Friday.
* NSW recorded 13 new coronavirus cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday.
* Queensland recorded two new cases of the virus on Tuesday, including a nurse who worked on a COVID ward in the state's south east.
* All of the state's active cases are connected to the cluster at Queensland's Corrective Services Academy in Wacol and the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison is hoping to clinch a commitment from state premiers at a national cabinet meeting on Friday to return Australia to as normal as possible by Christmas.
* Australian doubles entrant Ellen Perez has slammed US Open officials for allowing at least 10 French players to carry on in New York despite having been in close contact with Benoit Paire before he tested positive to COVID-19.
* August 2 to September 13 - stage four lockdown for Melbourne, including a nightly curfew, and stage three lockdown for regional Victoria.
* September 4 - the buffer zone at the Victorian/NSW border will expand from 2.5km to 50km.
* September 13 - Victoria's state of emergency due to end unless a bid to extend the state of emergency passes parliament.
* October 26 - Tasmania's state of emergency is due to expire.
* November - Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry report due.
* December 1 - Tasmania's borders will remain shut until at least the last month of 2020.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* There were 85 new cases in Australia - 70 in Victoria, 13 in NSW and two in Queensland. There were five more deaths in Victoria.
* The national death toll as of Friday is 657: Victoria 570, NSW 54, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* Cases: at least 25,641,000
* Deaths: at least 854,000
* Recovered: at least 17,943,000
Data current as of 1745 AEST September 1, taking in federal government and state/territory government updates, Worldometer and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.