LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* NSW has reported 1542 new cases of COVID-19 as the state's ambulances endure daily levels of demand typical of New Year's Eve, transporting hundreds of suspected COVID-19 patients each day.
* The Victorian government is under pressure to release Melbourne's roadmap out of lockdown, as the state recorded 334 new COVID-19 cases and another death.
* Canberra has become Australia's first jurisdiction to vaccinate half of its over-16 population as the ACT recorded 24 new coronavirus infections.
* Scores of Brisbane families have been forced into quarantine as authorities race to determine how a 13-year-old schoolgirl became infected with the virus, Queensland's second local case in two days.
* Meanwhile, the border bubble between Queensland and NSW will be reinstated from Monday, allowing people to cross between the states for work, school and medical care.
* A handful of NSW's regions are in their last day of lockdown, with dining out, going to the gym, weddings and household gathering soon back on the agenda for parts of the mid-north coast, north coast, Riverina and Murrumbidgee areas.
* A COVID-19 cluster at a private prison in Sydney's northwest has escalated to 169 cases, including 159 inmates.
* Tasmanians attending events for 1000 or more people will have to wear masks, despite no recorded active cases in the state.
* The federal government has launched a fresh defence of its $90 billion wage subsidy scheme, in the face of ongoing claims JobKeeper benefited profitable big businesses.
* The Therapeutic Goods Administration has placed limits on ivermectin after a three to four-fold rise in prescriptions due to fraudulent COVID-19 claims.
* Health experts are warning hospital systems will come under increasing pressure when Australia reopens, as NSW plans to hand residents major freedoms.
* One of the world's leading virologists says worldwide vaccination is critical in fighting COVID-19 and Australia is at risk of losing sight of that big picture.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 22,170,011 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Thursday, including 319,057 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 12,784,377 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 161,202 in the previous 24 hours).
* 9,385,634 have been administered by the states and territories, including 157,855 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 66.2 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 41.1 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1901 local cases on Wednesday: 1542 in NSW, 334 in Victoria, 24 in the ACT and one in Queensland.
* There were also one overseas-acquired case reported in Queensland
* The national death toll is 1076: Victoria 824, NSW 216, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 223,145,303.
* Deaths: at least 4,605,752.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,597,031,264.
Data current as at 1730 AEST on September 10, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.