LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* NSW has recorded another grim milestone in the 10-week COVID-19 crisis, with 919 new locally acquired cases of the virus and two more deaths.
* The two deaths included a 30-year-old mother-of-three from western Sydney - one of the youngest people in the state to succumb to the virus.
* Deputy NSW Premier John Barilaro said crisis cabinet will make a decision on whether to extend the lockdown in regional NSW "sooner rather than later".
* The Victorian government wants all Year 12 students to be vaccinated against coronavirus before exams in October, but hasn't explained how this will be achieved.
* Victoria recorded 45 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, as the state government's vaccination website crashed under the weight of thousands of young people trying to secure a booking.
* Canberra recorded another nine coronavirus infections as Chief Minister Andrew Barr ruled out ending the ACT's lockdown early.
* Queensland paused its hotel quarantine program for domestic travellers from NSW, Victoria and the ACT for two weeks amid capacity pressures.
* Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young confirmed two truck drivers recorded as COVID-19 cases on Tuesday were false positives.
* Western Australia outlined changes to its coronavirus border arrangements for New Zealand, Queensland and South Australia, as NSW moved to "extreme risk".
* WA Health reported 20 new COVID-19 cases, all from the MV Ken Hou cargo ship docked at Fremantle Port.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison spent another day pressuring state governments, in response to the WA and Queensland premiers' concerns about opening with high case numbers.
* Approvals for purpose-built quarantine hubs in Western Australia and Queensland are being fast-tracked by the federal government as strain increases on state-run facilities.
* Perth is all but certain to host the AFL grand final after Optus Stadium was officially named the standby venue for the season decider.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 17,747,787 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Tuesday, including 307,191 in the previous 24 hours.
* 10,359,625 have been administered by the Commonwealth, including 190,080 in the previous 24 hours.
* 7,388,162 have been administered by the states and territories, including 117,111 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 54.4 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 31.6 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 973 local cases on Wednesday: 919 in NSW, 45 in Victoria, and nine in the ACT.
* There were also 22 overseas-acquired cases reported: 20 in WA, and two in NSW.
* The national death toll is 986: Victoria 820, NSW 130, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 213,210,592.
* Deaths: at least 4,452,488.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,003,504,043.
Data current as at 1730 AEST on August 25, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.