LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* No new COVID-19 cases were recorded in Queensland as greater Brisbane entered the second day of a snap lockdown announced on Friday.
* Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said it was too early to say if there would be cases in the community after a Brisbane quarantine hotel cleaner was diagnosed with the UK virus strain.
* Queensland police have handed out more than 700 masks and issued 21 infringement notices since the lockdown began.
* The greater Brisbane region will remain in lockdown until 6pm on Monday, with Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to reveal the state's next steps before then.
* NSW's three new coronavirus cases, close contacts missed by contact tracers, were out and about in the community while infectious, Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says.
* Residents in the northern zone of Sydney's northern beaches, the site of a major outbreak, have celebrated the first day of eased restrictions in the area.
* Three new cases were also recorded in NSW hotel quarantine, as concern about mutated strains of the virus reaching Australia grow.
* Premier Gladys Berejiklian asked other states to talk to NSW before closing their borders, as WA Premier Mark McGowan and Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley rebuffed her comments.
* Victoria recorded another day of no local or interstate-acquired COVID-19 cases, despite 96 people making a mad dash to the state from locked-down greater Brisbane or other hot spots.
* Six new cases were reported in Victoria's hotel quarantine system, including five returned travellers and an international flight crew member.
* Victoria has now received more than 8000 applications for exemptions as its border remains closed to NSW, granting 882 thus far.
* A crew member of a bulk carrier ship has been caught and charged after allegedly swimming ashore at a WA port, with the premier labelling the incident "unusual".
* Mr McGowan also hosed down the potential for an immediate reopening of the border to Queensland once the lockdown of greater Brisbane ends.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* There were 12 new virus cases recorded in Australia on Sunday: six each in NSW and Victoria. Only three were locally acquired - all in NSW.
* The national death toll is 909: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 89,637,000
* Deaths: at least 1,926,000
* Recovered: at least 49,732,411.
Data current as of 1815 AEDT January 10, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.