LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australians who suffer serious side effects from COVID-19 vaccinations will receive "front door" access to compensation from the federal government.
* Health Minister Greg Hunt says health professionals who administer doses will also be afforded legal protection under the COVID-19 Vaccine Claim Scheme.
* He says the no fault scheme will provide "a simple and quick administrative process for compensation" with the costs of injuries above $5000 due to a proven adverse reaction covered.
* The first NSW drive-through vaccination clinic has opened in Dubbo, as an outbreak in the regional city nears 400 cases.
* Of the 1035 new cases diagnosed in NSW on Friday, 46 were in the state's west and far west.
* Some 34 new infections were detected in Dubbo, taking the outbreak there to 383.
* NSW mass vaccination hubs delivered a record number of jabs, with 61,778 people receiving a vaccine in addition to the 94,387 who visited GPs and chemists in the 24 hours to 8pm Friday night.
* There were two more deaths reported, taking the state's toll from the current outbreak to 83.
* Hopes of ending weeks of heartache for communities on the Queensland-NSW border have been dashed again, with a new war of words over a proposal to move hard border checkpoints south.
* Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley says a lack of supply continues to hold back vaccinations as the state deals with a fresh cluster in Port Melbourne and a growing outbreak in the Goulburn Valley.
* Victoria added 64 new infections to its caseload, 28 of them involving community exposure.
* The chances of the ACT coming out of lockdown remain unclear, with 26 new locally acquired cases and six of them without a known source.
* Western Australia has recorded no further cases linked to two truck drivers who tested positive after travelling through three states.
* A South Australian man has been fined for going on holidays near Uluru, after visiting an interstate hotspot.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 18,706,627 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Saturday, including 316,330 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 10,944,297 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 185,936 in the previous 24 hours).
* 10,187,198 have been issued in primary care (+176,703) and 757,099 in aged and disability facilities (+9,233).
* 7,762,330 have been administered by the states and territories, including 130,394 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1125 local cases on Saturday: 1035 in NSW, 64 in Victoria and 26 in the ACT.
* There were also eight overseas-acquired cases reported: four in Queensland, three in South Australia and one in NSW.
* The national death toll is 989: Victoria 820, NSW 135, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 215,452,283.
* Deaths: at least 4,486,039.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,136,251,482.
Data current as at 1730 AEST on August 28, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.