LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Children will return to school in NSW from October 25, as the premier promised everyone would have "more freedom" once 70 per cent of the state's population was fully vaccinated.
* NSW reported 882 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and two more deaths on Friday, both men who had received one vaccine dose.
* HSC exams for year 12 students will be pushed back to November 9, and all people working on school campuses must be vaccinated by November 8.
* Victorian authorities are concerned about the alarming growth of COVID-19 cases in Melbourne's west, with 60 per cent of the state's new infections based in the area.
* Victoria recorded 79 new locally acquired cases on Friday, with 46 in the western suburbs including 12 in Wyndham and 11 in Newport.
* A cluster in Shepparton has spread to nearby towns after an aged care worker in Echuca on the Victorian-NSW border became infected by her partner.
* Canberra recorded another 21 coronavirus cases as the ACT tweaked lockdown restrictions to stop residents flocking to big hardware stores. A decision on whether to lift the territory's lockdown from September 2 will be made mid-next week.
* Queensland will further ease its COVID-19 restrictions as it awaits new modelling on opening up to the rest of the country when vaccination coverage hits 80 per cent.
* Families could start being vaccinated together at GPs from next month after children aged 12 to 15 were added to Australia's rollout.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison believes international travel could be on the near horizon for fully vaccinated Australians.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 18,390,297 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Thursday, including 307,090 in the previous 24 hours.
* 10,758,361 have been administered by the Commonwealth, including 205,476 in the previous 24 hours.
* 7,631,936 have been administered by the states and territories, including 101,614 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 56 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 33 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 982 local cases on Friday: 882 in NSW, 79 in Victoria and 21 in the ACT.
* There were also four overseas-acquired cases reported: three in NSW and one in Queensland.
* The national death toll is 987: Victoria 820, NSW 135, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 214,627,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,474,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,093,837,000.
Data current as at 1730 AEST on August 27, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.