* Victoria recorded 15 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday and a grim milestone of 800 deaths statewide.
* The latest victims were two female aged care residents in their 70s and 90s, bringing the national death toll from the virus to 888.
* There are 289 active cases across the state, dropping below 300 for the first time since June 29.
* Melbourne's crucial 14-day average is down to 15.6 and there have been just 19 mystery cases recorded in the two weeks between September 15 and 28.
* Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is confident in the state's overhauled hotel quarantine program, despite reports subcontracted staff were hurriedly stood down due to infection control concerns.
* Authorities remain concerned about a cluster at Chadstone shopping centre, which has grown to eight people and includes a family in Frankston.
* Singapore will allow Australian travellers - aside from Victorians - into the city-state from October 8, subject to a COVID-19 test upon arrival.
* A travel bubble with New Zealand is also on the cards, but it will initially only allow Kiwis to fly across the Tasman.
* As Australia prepares for a summer living with the pandemic, authorities are working to alleviate season-specific concerns.
* More than one thousand Australians stranded overseas had their personal email addresses shared with strangers.
* NSW has gone six days without any community transmission. One locally acquired case was included in the records in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, but Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed the case was an old infection. Two other infections came from hotel quarantine.
* Queensland authorities eased border restrictions for 150,000 northern NSW residents in five council areas, as the Sunshine State again recorded no new cases.
* South Australian patrons in licensed pubs and restaurants will soon be allowed to drink while standing if they're outdoors under eased rules
* Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan labelled a healthcare worker's decision to approach COVID-infected ship crew without protective equipment "stupid". The state recorded one new case, a returned traveller from India in hotel quarantine.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison said it was important jobseekers take up opportunities in regional Australia ahead of the summer's fruit and vegetable harvest.
* October 5 - VCE and VCAL students back at school for tests.
* October 8 - Singapore will open to Australian travellers - except Victorians - subject to a COVID-19 test upon arrival.
* October 12 - Melbourne primary school students to return to on-site learning.
* October 26 - Tasmania's state of emergency due to expire.
* November 6 - Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry report due.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* There were 19 new cases in Australia - 15 in Victoria, three in NSW and one in WA. There were also two additional deaths in Victoria.
* The national death toll is 888: Victoria 800, NSW 55, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* Cases: at least 33,976,000
* Deaths: at least 1,014,000
* Recovered: at least 23,644,000
Data current as of 1730 AEST October 1, taking in federal government and state/territory government updates, Worldometer and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.