LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Two separate groups of guests in adjacent rooms at Melbourne's Park Royal Hotel have tested positive for the identical versions of more infectious B117 coronavirus variant, first detected in the United Kingdom.
* The quarantine scare, which is under investigation, emerged on Thursday afternoon as Victoria reached 28 days without any new local cases, widely regarded as the milestone for community elimination of the virus.
* Western Australia is still yet to record any further cases linked to a COVID-19 hotel quarantine breach, three days into a five-day lockdown.
* NSW will ease its "four square metre" social distancing regulations at the end of next week if no additional COVID-19 outbreaks occur.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison has brought Craig Kelly into line after months of the NSW Liberal backbencher promoting shonky COVID-19 treatments and misinformation.
* Elderly Australians have been given the medical regulator's okay to get the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine after concerns raised from overseas were allayed.
* New Zealand has joined the ranks of countries to approve the Pfizer vaccine for use, but Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern won't be among the first vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Six new virus cases were recorded in Australia on Wednesday: two in NSW and four in SA, all diagnosed in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 909: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 103,877,000
* Deaths: at least 2,253,000
* Recovered: at least 57,679,000
Data current as of 1730 AEDT on February 3, taking in federal and state/territory government updates, Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.