* Victoria has recorded 12 new cases and one death - a woman in her 80s in aged care, ending the state's three-day stretch without a fatality.
* Victorian death toll is 810 and the national figure is 898.
* Victoria's state of emergency and state of disaster have been extended to 11.59pm on November 8.
* Melbourne's all-important 14-day case average is down to 9.3 for Melbourne and 0.4 in regional Victoria.
* This two-week average won't drop to five by October 19 meaning the next step out of restrictions will not take place as planned, but Premier Daniel Andrews says rules around outdoor activities are likely to relax.
* The inquiry into the state's botched hotel quarantine program has formally requested the premier's phone records as it attempts to discover who made the fateful decision to use private security guards.
* NSW has recorded five new cases of COVID-19 - three of which were locally transmitted - as the cluster at a private clinic grows. It comes after a nurse working at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney was recorded as a confirmed case on Saturday.
* Queensland has recorded no new COVID-19 cases as health authorities ramp up testing in Townsville after traces of the virus were detected in local sewage.
* COVID-stricken ship Patricia Oldendorff has left West Australian waters for Indonesia, as another virus scare aboard a different vessel emerges. An unwell crew member aboard the Panama bulk oil carrier Vega Dream returned a weak positive test after coming ashore on Saturday. His samples are now being flown to Perth to be verified.
* Meanwhile Prime Minster Scott Morrison has said he had spoken to a number of Pacific leaders about possible travel bubbles in the past week, as well as the prime ministers of Japan and South Korea. Foreign Minister Marise Payne had been holding talks in Singapore.
* October 12 - Melbourne primary school students to return to on-site learning.
* October 19 - Some restrictions in Melbourne expected to be eased.
* October 26 - Tasmania's state of emergency due to expire.
* November 1 - Queensland border reopened to NSW visitors subject to conditions being met.
* November 2 - Regional Victoria residents allowed to travel to the Northern Territory if case numbers remain low.
* November 6 - Victoria's hotel quarantine inquiry report due.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* There were 21 new cases in Australia - 12 in Victoria, five in NSW, two in WA and two in SA. The WA and SA cases, and two of NSW's cases, were diagnosed in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 898: Victoria 810, NSW 55, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states.)
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS
* Cases: at least 37,475,000
* Deaths: at least 1,077,000
* Recovered: at least 28,117,000
Data current as of 1715 AEDT October 11, taking in federal government and state/territory government updates, Worldometer and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.